Erectile dysfunction (ED) is the inability to achieve and maintain an erection during sexual intercourse. ED is common, and it affects approximately 30 million men in the United States.
Many men experience what is referred to as situational erectile dysfunction—an erection problem that occurs as a result of stress, drinking too much alcohol, or fatigue. This is generally not any cause for concern. However, if ED starts to become a persistent problem, it can gnaw away at your sense of self-worth and put a strain on your marriage/relationship. ED can be caused by certain medical conditions, such as Peyronie’s disease, diabetes, low testosterone levels, depression, among others.
If you have erection problems and are concerned that these may be caused by a medical condition, it is in your best interest to consult an ED doctor. There are several types of medical practitioners who can help you with your erectile dysfunction, depending on what’s exactly causing it. Your primary care physician, neurologist, urologist, endocrinologist, or psychiatrist can be your ED doctor.
Let’s go ahead and find out what you can expect at your appointment with your ED doctor and where to get effective treatment for erectile dysfunction in Edmonds, Washington.
Consulting an ED Doctor
During your appointment with your ED doctor, you can anticipate questions about your personal health history, medications you are currently taking, and your lifestyle. Your ED doctor may also ask you to provide specific details about your erection problems, such as how long they have been going on and if they do have accompanying signs and symptoms, such as pain and penile deformity.
Your ED doctor will also order any of the following tests to check for signs of diabetes, cardiovascular disease, low testosterone levels, Peyronie’s disease, vascular disease, or other possible underlying causes of ED.
- Physical exam- To check for Peyronie’s disease (benign condition that causes scar tissue buildup on the penis, thereby causing penile curvature)
- Blood tests and urine tests – These can determine whether you have low testosterone, high sugar level, and high cholesterol.
- Ultrasound- This can be used for evaluating the blood flow to and from your penis.
Available Treatments for ED
Based on the results of the evaluation, your ED doctor will craft a treatment plan that may incorporate lifestyle changes, such as smoking cessation, minimizing alcohol intake, regular exercise, getting adequate sleep at night, and stress management.
Your doctor will recommend any of these options or a combination thereof to address your erectile dysfunction:
- Pills- Viagra, Levitra, or Cialis
- Penile implants
- Low-Intensity Shockwave Therapy (LISWT)– This is a relatively new technology in the United States. It is an FDA-approved non-invasive treatment modality that utilizes shockwaves to promote healthy blood flow and activate your body’s natural healing process, resulting in tissue regeneration and blood vessel growth. The treatment lasts less than a half-hour and has little to no side effects. It only has minimal discomforts and requires no downtime.
ED Doctor in Edmonds, WA
If ED is starting to take over your life, consult one of our ED doctors here at Affirm Clinic. Our doctors specialize in the treatment of erectile dysfunction and Peyronie’s disease through the use of focused LISWT, providing our patients with lasting results and ultimately improving their quality of life.
We understand how embarrassing and distressing ED can be. You can rest assured that we will treat your condition with utmost respect and confidentiality. To learn more about how shockwave therapy can help with your ED or to arrange a private consultation with one of our ED doctors, call Affirm Clinic at (206) 231-6000 or use our online request form. We look forward to helping you restore your virility!